    SubjectRe: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion
    On Mon, 2006-07-31 18:44:33 +0200, Rudy Zijlstra <rudy@edsons.demon.nl> wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
    > > On Mon, 2006-07-31 17:59:58 +0200, Adrian Ulrich
    > > <reiser4@blinkenlights.ch> wrote:
    > > > A colleague of mine happened to create a ~300gb filesystem and started
    > > > to migrate Mailboxes (Maildir-style format = many small files (1-3kb))
    > > > to the new LUN. At about 70% the filesystem ran out of inodes; Not a
    > >
    > > So preparation work wasn't done.
    >
    > Of course you are right. Preparation work was not fully done. And using
    > ext1 would also have been possible. I suspect you are still using ext1,
    > cause with proper preparation it is perfectly usable.

    Nope, I'm a quite happy ext3 user for quite divergent workloads.
    Starting with storing loads of small files in a hugh number of
    directories (mkfs -T news) over hugh numbers of files in few
    directories (mkfs -O dir_index) to only a small number of really hugh
    files (mkfs -T largefile4).

    All that I still need to catch up with is 4TB sized files. But I guess
    this is really an uncommon workload, but ISTR that somebody even works
    on this.

    MfG, JBG

    --
    Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de +49-172-7608481
    Signature of: Don't believe in miracles: Rely on them!

      Last update: 2006-07-31 19:23    [W:3.563 / U:0.980 seconds]