    SubjectRe: ipw3945 status
    Kasper Sandberg wrote:
    >> Because it would involve a moderate rewriting of the driver, and we'd
    >> have to carry a delta against Intel's code forever.
    > without knowing this for sure, dont you think that if a largely changed
    > version of the driver appeared in the tree, intel may start developing
    > on that? cause then they wouldnt be the ones that "broke" compliance
    > with FCC(hah) by not doing binaryonly.

    Where can I find this FCC law that seems to be crippling open source
    wlan development?

    I am not from the USA, so I don't have to comply with the FCC. Could we
    make a non-crippled totally open source driver for use by people outside
    the USA?

    For example, here in the UK one can own radios that can transmit on any
    frequency one likes, but if you actually press the TX button without a
    the appropriate License, you break the law.

    James

      Last update: 2006-07-30 19:02    [W:5.763 / U:0.028 seconds]