SubjectRe: 2.6.17-rc3 - fs/namespace.c issue
has other stuff Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 02:33:44PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>> Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
>>> There seems to have been a bug introduced in this changeset:
>>>
>>> http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=f6422f17d3a480f21917a3895e2a46b968f56a08
>>>
>>> Am running 2.6.17-rc3-mm1. When this changeset is applied, 'mount --bind'
>>> misbehaves:

>>> Reverting this changeset causes both mounts to have the same options.
>>>
>>> (Thanks to Stephen Smalley for tracking down the changeset...)
>
> well, IMHO there are several open questions regarding semantics
>
> first, what do we expect from --bind mounts regarding
> vfs (mount) level flags like noatime, noexec, nodev?
>
> - should they be propagated from the original mfs/mount?
> - should they only restrict the original set?
> - should they allow to modify the existing flags?

What does it mean if the flags can be modified? If I mount a tree ro, do
I want to open the can of worms from allowing part of it to be rw
elsewhere? And what checking is done, or should be done? If I do a ro
mount with something like NFS, what should happen if I mount part of it
rw? Substitute any of the other above flags, is there a security issue
here, and can I shoot myself in the foot?

Can I apply the "user" attribute in fstab to a bind mount? If I let a
user bind /foo/bar to /bazfaz/zot, what happens if I have the wrong
thing mounted on /foo? Or if /bazfaz is NFS exported read only?

> IMHO, it makes perfect sense to mount something noatime
> and change that rule later for a subtree like this:
>
> mkdir /foo
> mount -t tmpfs -o rw,noatime none /foo
> mkdir /foo/bar
> mount --bind -o atime /foo/bar /foo/bar
>
> second, has the kernel to decide what flags userspace
> can request and/or change, depending on the original?
>
> and finally, how to handle --rbind mounts at a level
> deeper than the top?
>
> so I do not consider the example above a misbehaviour.
> what I consider a misbehaviour is that mount (userspace)
> blindly assumes that --bind mounts are independant, so
> it does not check the existing flags, and thus, does not
> preserve them (instead it replaces them with the default)
>
> removing the mnt->mnt_flags = mnt_flags; assignment
> is sufficient to _only_ allow the identical attributes
> of the original mount, as they are copied in the
> clone_mnt() operation, of course, this also makes it
> impossible to have any flags/changes to the --bind mounts
> over the original

That certainly is a lot less likely to violate Plauger's law of least
astonishment.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)