SubjectRe: Problems (lockup/hang) with PCI-X slot on X5DPL motherboard
Jesse Brandeburg wrote:

> On these supermicro systems often they have jumpers to control the slots,
> are they set correctly? Make sure that if your e1000 and slot six are
> sharing a bus, that neither of them is running at faster than PCI-X 100 MHz
> (check in ethtool -d ethX for e1000)

Is there a way to find out bus speed for other slots/cards?

> so do the other slots work okay with your MV card? The supermicro systems
> had tons and tons of ACPI table problems, so you may want to look closely at
> your dmesg and / or try acpi=off kernel boot line.

In general, yes, though I just had a lockup with this new MV card in my
test system. Otherwise, my X5DPL-TGM with on MV card in slot 4 and one
Intel GigE in slot 5 has been quite stable.

> If you think you're having a network problem posting to
> netdev@vger.kernel.org would be good.

I think it's only related to device/bus issues, not in general.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll be trying to turn down the bus speed
in the BIOS to see if that help.

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator 303-415-9701 x222