SubjectRe: VFAT: Can't create file named 'aux.h'?
linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
> Under win/2000 "aux" can't be created either by using C/C++ or
> any of the usual utilities like `ftp`. The returned error-code
> is "Permission denied", even from an administrator account.

For the third time this thread, yes, you can, you just have to escape
the path name to prevent the win32 api from translating the name to the
non existent AUX device. From a command line you can do:

echo foo > \\?\c:\aux

And it will work just fine. The only place the name "AUX" has any
meaning is in the win32 api layers that translate certain device names
to the real kernel path. The kernel and filesystem will store whatever
name you choose for compatibility with the posix subsystem.

> I have a dual-boot lap-top so I tried to create a file called
> "AUX" using `echo "">AUX`, under Linux-2.4.26. The error-code
> was "Invalid argument". This is a "vfat" file-system. I was
> able to create the device-name "CLOCK$", which is reserved in
> DOS. I'm now rebooting the laptop, it should be interesting
> to see if it still works! .... Yep. It's not a reserved name
> in Win/2000.

  Last update: 2006-03-23 02:18    [W:1.213 / U:0.264 seconds]