SubjectRe: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion

Still using mm kernels here, now on 2.6.16-rc1-mm5. Still no atapi
device detection - much less function - when using the libata pata amd
driver for the nvidia Nforce4 chipset. I tried, libata.atapi_enabled=1
and just atapi_enabled=1 in the boot args and nothing was mentioned
about atapi devices in dmesg.

Is it a known issue with the pata libata drivers that atapi isn't
working yet? ... all i've seen is people with sata atapi devices
chiming in.

>On Maw, 2006-01-24 at 01:43 -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:
>

>>problem. The problem is that there appears to be two nvidia/amd ata
>>drivers and I'm unsure which I should try using, if i compile both in,
>>which get loaded first (i assume scsi is second to ide) and if i want my
>>pata disks loaded under the new libata drivers, will my cdrom work under
>>them too, or do i still need some sort of regular ide drivers loaded
>>just for cdrom (to use native ata mode for recording access).

>>>The goal of the drivers/scsi/pata_* drivers is to replace drivers/ide in
>its entirity with code using the newer and cleaner libata logic. There
>is still much to do but my SIL680, SiS, Intel MPIIX, AMD and VIA boxes
>are using libata and the additional patch patches still queued
>>>
>>>1. Atapi is most definitely not supported by libata, right now.

>>>It works in the -mm tree.
>>>
>Intriguing, when I had no ide chipset compiled in kernel, only libata
>drivers, I got no mention at all about my dvd writer. I even had the
>scsi cd driver installed and generic devices, still nothing seemed to
>initialize the dvd drive. It detected the second pata bus but no
>devices attached to it.

>this is using the kernel mentioned in the subject header.
>2.6.16-rc1-mm2. using the amd/nvidia drivers for pata and sata.

>Is there anything i can do to give more info to the list to figure out
>why my atapi writer is being ignored by pata even when there are no ide
>drivers loaded?

>>>I assume libata.atapi_enabled=1 is a boot arg, not some structure member
>>
>Yes, it's a kernel boot option if libata is in the kernel image.
>>>If libata is a loadable module, just use something like
>>> modprobe libata atapi_enabled=1

>And you just built and tested it, how did you test if the atapi argument
>>
>Sorry, I mean that I built and booted a kernel with libata/PATA
>>>hard drive (vs. legacy drivers/ide/ PATA support). I have not
>>>tested ATAPI at all and didn't mean to imply that I had.
>I reported on libata.atapi_enabled=1 based on documentation
>>>and other emails that I have read.

>In any case, i'll try out libata.atapi_enabled=1 and see if it detects
>>
>HTH. Please continue to post any questions or problems.

>>I Rebooted several times, both setting the option in the kernel boot
>>args and editing the source to have it set by default. No atapi devices
>>are found/mentioned or even described as not found in dmesg/bootup. So
>>apparently, on my chipset, the amd/nvidia pata driver is not detecting
>>atapi devices.
>>
>>0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
>>0000:00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA
>>Controller (rev f3)
>>0000:00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA
>>Controller (rev f3)
>>
>>0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
>>(prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
>> Subsystem: Unknown device f043:815a
> [...]

  Last update: 2006-02-03 22:56    [W:0.333 / U:0.432 seconds]