SubjectRe: Red Hat ES4 GPL Issues?
Date
From: "Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@wolfmountaingroup.com>

> Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>>>I got the RPM's and located them from an earlier responder to the post.
>>>It was just disturbing
>>>that RedHat does ont include the sources when you install from binary --
>>>which they always have
>>>before.
>>>

>>you forgot to download the cd images labeled "source".
>>What's the problem???
>>

> I did not download them, procuement here did and they did not grab the
> SRPMS iso's

So they screwed up. That is not RedHat's fault. This is the way they
have always made a distribution since source and binary outgrew a single
disk. Binary's on one disk and Sources on another. Eventually it became
binaries on several disks and sources on several other disks.

>>>I am glad Red Hat is still distributing the code, but I am disappointed
>>>they are no longer
>>>including it in the base RPM install.
>>>

>>oh you don't mean the src.rpm but the full kernel source code installed?
>>That's explained in the release notes; it's 2 shell commands to create
>>it, and it's in a way silly to make an exception for the kernel here
>>compared to all other software. And CD real estate on the binary cd's is
>>scarse as well.
>>

> I know but this deviates from how they did it in the past. No worry,
> sooner or later Linux will get so
> large in these distros, you will need a DVD to hold all of it, so I can
> understand if space was at a premium
> on those CD iso images.

When's the last time you did a RedHat install?

{^_^} Joanne

  Last update: 2006-02-24 05:32    [W:0.129 / U:0.412 seconds]