SubjectRe: what's a platform device?
Date
>> Yes, the FPGA is a pci device.
>>
>> Not sure I follow exactly what you mean by the fact that platform
>> devices dont know about mmio regions. They know about struct
>> resource and iomem_resource & ioport_resource.
>
> Yes, as they have no "bus" to attach too. That's why they are there,
> they are for devices with no bus, but are merely "raw" memory mapped
> devices.

I'm not sure I follow this. How is PCI different? How would "kumar"
bus be different?

>> I think I might be missing something fundamental here. In
>> implementing my own bus_type, I'll end up introducing my own struct
>> foobar_device which looked pretty much like struct platform_device.
>> Then I'll need a set of functions to assign resources, etc.
>>
>> I got no issue implementing my own bus_type, but I clearly feel like
>> I'm missing something here (just not sure what it is :)
>
> I guess I look at your FPGA as a PCI "bridge" chip, that bridges
> between
> the PCI bus, and your "kumar" bus (for lack of a better name). Your
> devices hang off of that bus, which is attached to the FPGA, which is
> attached to the pci bridge, and so on. If you use the platform
> bus, you
> break that link.
>
> Does that make sense?

This makes sense, but you seem to be talking about hierarchy more the
functionality. I agree in your description of hierarchy.

I was looking at it from a functional point of view, maybe more from
the device view then from the bus. I need a struct device type that
contains resources, a name, an id. I'll do matching based on name.
From a functional point of view platform does all this.

Based on your description would you say that a platform_device's
parent device should always be platform_bus? [I'm getting at the fact
that we allow pdev->dev.parent to be set by the caller of
platform_device_add].

Hmm, as I think about this further, I think that its more coincidence
that the functionality for the "kumar" bus is equivalent to that of
the "platform" bus.

> Russell probably has other thoughts about this.

Hopefully he'll provide his thoughts :)

- kumar

  Last update: 2006-02-23 08:06    [W:0.084 / U:2.156 seconds]