    SubjectRe: 2.6.16-rc4: known regressions
    On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 11:18 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:59:23AM -0800, Joel Becker wrote:
    > > On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 06:33:54PM +0100, Gabor Gombas wrote:
    > > > I don't think isnmod is broken. It's job is to load a chunk of code into
    > > > the kernel, and it's doing just that.

    > > > But if your kernel has CONFIG_HOTPLUG enabled, then _you_ have asked for
    > > > this exact behavior, therefore you should better fix userspace to cope
    > > > with it. Your initrd should use the notification mechanisms provided by
    > > > the kernel to wait for the would-be root device really becoming
    > > > available; if it's not doing that, then IMHO you should not use a
    > > > CONFIG_HOTPLUG enabled kernel.
    > >
    > > The issue isn't so much "insmod is right" vs "insmod is wrong".
    > > It's that the behavior changed in a surprising fashion. Red Hat's
    > > kernel for RHEL4 (in our example) has CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y, yet it Just
    > > Works. A more recent kernel (.15 and .16 at least) with
    > > CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y doesn't work. Same disk drivers. Same initramfs
    > > script.
    >
    > RHEL is a very different kernel from mainline (just like SLES is). Have
    > you looked through their patches to see if they are including something
    > that causes this behavior?

    I doubt it does; rhel isn't that much patches...

    > What about trying a stock 2.6.6 or so kernel? Does that work
    > differently from 2.6.15?

    ... however it's very much designed only for the kernel that comes with
    it (with "it's" I mean all the userspace infrastructure); all the
    changes and additions since 2.6.9 aren't incorporated so you probably
    really want new alsa, new initscripts, new mkinitrd, new
    module-init-tools. some because of abi changes since 2.6.9, others
    because the kernel grew capabilities that are really needed for "nice"
    behavior.

      Last update: 2006-02-22 20:32    [W:2.629 / U:0.048 seconds]