SubjectRe: [Quilt-dev] Quilt 0.43 has been released! [SERIOUS BUG]
Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 2006-02-14, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 14 February 2006 04:25, Peter Williams wrote:
>>
>>>The problem arises when pushing a patch that has errors in it (due to
>>>changes in the previous patches in the series) and needs the -f flag to
>>>force the push. What's happening is that the reverse of the errors is
>>>being applied to the "pre patch" file in the .pc directory. Then when
>>>you pop this patch it returns the file to a state with the reverse of
>>>the errors applied to it.
>>
>>Found and fixed. It's a missed rollback_patch on one of the two branches of
>>the code that checks if a patch can be reverse applied. This case
>>apparently doesn't trigger as easily as it seems, or else we would have
>>found it sooner. Still quite bad.
>

> I probably encountered it the other day, but as I couldn't explain what
> was happening, I mistakenly concluded to a user error and started again
> from a fresh tree. Or maybe it was really a user error after all.

I went through much the same process (several times) before it finally
dawned on me that it might be a problem with the newly updated quilt and
replaced it with 0.42 :-(. I was worried that the symptoms were so
bizarre and hard to describe properly that the problem would be hard to
fix so I was impressed by the speed with which the problem was solved.

> I was about to suggest that we add a test in the quilt test suite, but I
> see you did already - good!
>

>>Shall we wait until the translations are up-to-date again, or release
>>0.44 immediately?
>

> I'd say:
> * Fix the temporary file leak in the mail command I have been reporting a
> few days ago - unless it's there on purpose.
> * Update the translations. I'll take care of French this evening
> (GMT+01).
> * Let people (including me) do a little testing. If nothing else, running
> the test suite on a few different systems can't hurt.
> * Release.
>
> We can be done by tomorrow if Yashi can handle the Japanese translation
> fast. If Yashi is too busy I guess we'll have to release anyway...

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au

-- Ambrose Bierce