SubjectRe: Background scan of sata drives
I could have sworn I saw a patch in the last month or two that made the
modprobe scan NON blocking, and added a new dummy module you could
modprobe that would block until the scan was complete. Am I imagining this?

Tejun Heo wrote:
> Phillip Susi wrote:
>> I seem to recall seeing mention flow by on the lkml at some point that
>> sata disks are now scanned in the background rather than blocking in
>> the modprobe, but that there is a new dummy module you can load that
>> just blocks until all drives have been scanned. I tried but was
>> unable to find the thread that mentioned this, so does anyone know
>> what that module was?
>
> Scanning during boot and module loading is blocking. modprobe will wait
> in the kernel until the initial scan is complete. But user initiated
> scan (echo - - - > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostX/scan) doesn't wait for
> completion. Patch to make user scan blocking is pending.

  Last update: 2006-10-30 16:37    [W:0.043 / U:0.912 seconds]