From: dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com [mailto:dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com] On
Behalf Of Dmitry Torokhov
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:12 PM
To: Chandler, Greg
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org; linux-input@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Subject: Re: Touchscreen hardware hacking/driver hacking.

On 10/17/06, Greg.Chandler@wellsfargo.com <Greg.Chandler@wellsfargo.com>
wrote:

> I'm working on a prototype Hitachi tablet, it uses a Fujitsu 4-wire
> resistive touchscreen. {10.4" I think} I've found that windows-xp
> embedded uses a generic ps/2 driver for the device.
>
> I've ripped this thing to pieces on several occasions looking for
> chips to help the porting, my problem is that I can not find the
> analog-digital converter for this thing. The connector goes to a
> surface mount header on an 8 layer board.
> I loose the traces almost instantly. Given that I can't find the
> converter anywhere what should I do next?
>
> I've done my homework and found that this HAS to be either serial or
> usb attached according to Fujitsu.
> Aparently it's neither. There are no unknown USB devices {or known
> matching}, and there is no activity on the single serial port on the
> system. Since the windows driver uses PS/2 as the interface I have a
> horrible feeling this thing has an interpretation layer that makes it
> PS/2 mouse, and that may or may not royally be a nightmare.

The touchscreen might need a "magic knock" to activate. You might try to
see what data wondows driver sends to PS/2 port.

Also check of Lifebook touchscreen protocol will work for you. You will
need to adjust DMI table in drivers/input/mouse/lifebook.c/

> I would have posted this to a different group but there is no "input"
> mailing list.

linux-input@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

But you must be subscribed to post otherwise list just drops your mails
on the floor.

--
Dmitry