SubjectRe: [patch] latency tracer, 2.6.15-rc7
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Dipankar Sarma wrote:

> I do agree that the two layers of batching really makes things
> subtle. I think the best we can do is to figure out some way of
> automatic throttling in RCU and forced quiescent state under extreme
> conditions. That way we will have less dependency on softirq
> throttling.

would it make sense to have the RCU subsystems with a threshold so that
when more then X items are outstanding they trigger a premption of all
other CPU's ASAP (forceing the scheduling break needed to make progress on
clearing RCU)? This wouldn't work in all cases, but it could significantly
reduce the problem situations.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare

  Last update: 2006-01-03 14:34    [W:0.175 / U:0.628 seconds]