SubjectRe: [RFT] sky2: pci express error fix
Date
Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 01:11:20 +0900
> Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@thinrope.net> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>>> For all those people suffering with pci express errors
>>> on the sky2 driver. The problem is the PCI subsystem sometimes
>>> won't let the sky2 driver write to PCI express registers. It depends
>>> on the phase of the moon (actually ACPI) and number of devices.
>>>
>>> Anyway, this should fix it. Please tell me if it solves it for you.
>> Can you describe the bug a bit more? What happens?
>>
>> I had a few times something like this:
>>
>> [ 24.145040] sky2 eth0: phy interrupt status 0x1c40 0xbc0c
>
>> [ 3647.341757] sky2 eth0: phy interrupt status 0x1c40 0xbc4c
>>

> Looks like a noisy crappy cable causing PHY link status changes.

I will check that particular cable on monday, but it *should* be CAT6 not
very cheap cable (Japanese brand: Elecom). In the worst case it is a CAT5e
from probably the same brand. (just because there are no other cables in the
office)

Can these errors be caused by bad hub?
From what I've seen the network on this machine dies at the same time (not
sure before or after) as the error in dmesg.

>> after which all network was dead. (and it wasn't a module so had to
>> restart). As you can see from the above two logs, sometimes it failed on
>> boot, sometimes after an hour. Sourry, I didn't remember the phase of the
>> moon, but I can check :-)
>>
>> I have two Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe boards, with these chips. One of them is
>> happily working with sk98lin (the binary one), the other is dying miserably,
>> so now I use r8169 card to be able to isolate the problem (separate mail).
Forgot to post it, now it went under the subject:
libata errors in 2.6.15.1 ICH6 AHCI (SATA drive WD740GD)

Kalin.

--
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+