SubjectRe: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel
Luben Tuikov wrote:
> The driver and the infrastructure needs to go in.
>
> Give it exposure to the people, let people play with it.

Merging into the upstream kernel is not necessary for exposure.

Historically, saying "no" to a single vendor pushing really hard -- as
you are doing -- has resulted in a superior solution.

> If we start "fixing" SCSI Core now (this in itself is JB red
> herring), how long before it is "fixed" and we can "rest"?
> And how long then before the driver and infrastructure
> makes it in?

Just follow the recipe Christoph outlined. It's not difficult, just
requires some work.

> At the end of the day the driver is not in, and business
> suffers. And its not like the driver is using
> static struct file_operations megasas_mgmt_fops, ;-)
> IOCTLs or other char dev for management...
>
> The driver does _not_ alter anything in the kernel, it only
> integrates with it.
>
> There needs to be a "passing gate":
> Linus, let the driver and transport layer in, as is and then
> patches "fixing SCSI Core" would start coming, naturally.
>>From people, from me, from everybody.

So far, this is an Adaptec-only solution.

It does an end run around 90% of the SCSI core. You might as well make
it a block driver, if you're going to do that.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-09-28 00:03    [W:0.062 / U:0.112 seconds]