SubjectRe: HRT on opteron / rt14 on opteron

~
>># ./timerlimit
>>7168: timer id = 7167
>>timer_create: Resource temporarily unavailable
>>
>>Is that a reasonable number of successfully created clocks?
>

> Depends on the number of timers available on your system. But sounds
> reasonable.

Actually is limited by the maximum number of signal control block. This
is, I think, an RLIMIT and can be changed. Currently it is set to 1024
by default.

> I have no idea about the plots. George ?

The plot code was done to get a handle on the performance of the timer
list code. The plot should be showing the list overhead as a function
of the number of timers. To get reasonable inteaction you may need to
adjust the RLIMIT up so you can get 3000 to 6000 timers.

This code was done when we were using the hashed timer list and showed
very good performance up to and above 3000 timers. The hashed timer
list did NOT have a cascade issue and I still think it may be a
reasonable replacement for the cascade timer list. It also had the nice
ability to change the hash bucket size at configure time to improve
performance as needed.

--
George Anzinger george@mvista.com
HRT (High-res-timers): http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers/