SubjectRe: Stripping in module
Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >What is the best way to do this with v2.6.
> >
> >I have tried e.g. to remove all symbols starting with "telos"
> >from the module like this (after kbuild):
> >
> > strip -w -K '!telos*' -K 'telosi2c_usb_driver' telosi2c_linux.ko
>
> Yes, I'd also be interested in what sections can actually be stripped, if any.
> Userspace shared libs for example can be `strip -s`'ed and they still work as
> expected, does not look like this holds for kernel modules.

I would also be interested in this. For instance the AIC7xxx driver has
every PCI id in the module I think in the .modinfo section which is not
truely required once depmod has been run. I wanted to strip out this
information so that modules would be smaller. I had stripped this section
out in testing a floppy boot and then most modules would not load anymore.