    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.30-rc3 md/ext3 problems (ext3 gurus : please check)
    Hi,

    On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 21:10, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

    > However, 2.6 is suspected of still having leaks in ext3. To be certain
    > that we're not just backporting one of those to 2.4, we need to
    > understand who exactly is going to clean up these bh's if they are in
    > fact unused once we complete this code and do the final put_bh().
    >
    > I'll give this patch a spin with Andrew's fsx-based leak stress and see
    > if anything unpleasant appears.

    I'm currently running with the buffer-trace debug patch, on 2.4, with a
    custom patch to put every buffer jbd ever sees onto a per-superblock
    list, and remove it only when the bh is destroyed in
    put_unused_buffer_head(). At unmount time, we can walk that list to
    find stale buffers attached to data pages (invalidate_buffers() already
    does such a walk for metadata.)

    I just ran it with a quick test and it found 300,000 buffers still
    present at unmount. Whoops, I guess I need to move the check to _after_
    the final invalidate_inodes() call. :-)

    But this method ought to allow us to test for this sort of leak a lot
    more reliably, and to report via the usual buffer history tracing the
    most recent activity on any bh that does leak.

    Andrew, I'll give this a try on 2.6 once I've got this 2.4 patch tested
    for Marcelo. I've got uptodate buffer_trace for 2.6 anyway, so it
    shouldn't be too hard.

    --Stephen

      Last update: 2005-04-07 17:55    [W:3.260 / U:0.048 seconds]