SubjectRe: sata_sil Mod15Write quirk workaround patch for vanilla kernel avaialble.
Alexander Trotsai wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 07:51:28AM +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
> TH> Hello, John.
> TH>
> TH> John Lash wrote:

> TH> >Tejun,
> TH> >
> TH> >I applied the patch to a clean 2.6.11.6 kernel and got an unresolved
> TH> >symbol error for "ATA_TFLAG_LBA". I tried changing that to
> TH> >"ATA_TFLAG_LBA48" and
> TH> >it compiles and runs.
> TH> >
> TH> >So far, no problems. Thanks a lot for the patch.
> TH>
> TH> I'm sorry. I uploaded the original patch against libata-dev-2.6 tree.
> TH> The two BUG_ON() lines should just be removed. I've uploaded fixed
> TH> patch. Thanks for pointing out.
>
> Thanks
> Seems to be worked (I'm install with ide-ata-2.6 patch)
> But with heavy read load write performance is very very bad
> (near 50-100 KBps)
> But I think that is not problem of Silicon card (I have also
> to SATA hard drives on Intel onboard SATA controller with
> same performance troubles)

It has been quite a while since I looked at the elevator code but,
IIRC, anticipatory elevator (rightfully) favors read requests over
writes and doesn't care much about fairness between processes (IOW,
request streams). It depends on your workload but try using cfq. For
many puposes including common desktop usage, I find cfq to be better suited.

Thanks.

--
tejun