SubjectRe: 2.6.12-rc2-mm3
Andrew Morton wrote:

>Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

>>>- The effects of tcq on AS are much less disastrous than I thought they
>>>

>> > were. Do I have the wrong workload? Memory fails me. Or did we fix the
>> > anticipatory scheduler?
>> >

>> Yes, we did fix it ;)
>> Quite a long time ago, so maybe you are thinking of something else
>> (I haven't been able to work it out).
>>

>Steve Pratt's ols2004 presentation made AS look pretty bad. However the
>numbers in the proceedings
>(http://www.finux.org/proceedings/LinuxSymposium2004_V2.pdf) are much less
>stark.
>
>Steve, what's up with that? The slides which you talked to had some awful
>numbers. Was it the same set of tests?

I highlighted a few cases where AS went really wrong during the
presentation, like on really large RAID 0 arrays, but in general
(referring back to slides) AS trailed other schedulers by 5-10% on ext3,
but had real trouble with XFS, losing by as much as %145 on 5disk raid5
system for a mix of workloads. Perhaps this is the piece you remember.

Steve

  Last update: 2005-04-12 19:06    [W:0.063 / U:0.724 seconds]