SubjectRe: kernel BUG at mm/rmap.c:483!
Date
>>  really; it was supposed to do that already

>> > try for fun to not use i2c for a while

>> > same for microcode... try removing that so that the microcode of your
>> > system doesn't get updated at boot
>>
>> What do these two modules do in particular? and how can I disable
>> them so that they don't get reloaded during boot time? do I need
>> to disable both i2c_dev and i2c_core or just one of them?
>
> i2c is used to directly talk to motherboard hardware such as temperature
> sensors. I've seen cases of certain chipset bugs leading to cacheline
> corruption when stuff talked to the slow i2c bus and did other stuff in
> parallel.
>
> microcode changes the microcode of the cpu (a part of your cpu is
> actually written in "software" that can be updated); however updating
> this behind the back of the bios might not always be a good idea. (but I
> have no hard proof of any failures due to this)
>
> As for how to disable these.. you could just rename the respective .ko
> files to .notko or something....

Done. Following is my new loaded module list:

[root ~]# lsmod
Module Size Used by
ip_conntrack_ftp 76145 0
md5 8001 1
ipv6 236769 38
autofs4 21829 0
sunrpc 135077 1
ipt_REJECT 10561 2
ipt_state 5825 79
ip_conntrack 45317 2 ip_conntrack_ftp,ipt_state
iptable_filter 7489 1
ip_tables 20929 3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
dm_mod 57925 0
video 19653 0
button 10577 0
battery 13253 0
ac 8773 0
uhci_hcd 33497 0
ehci_hcd 33737 0
e1000 84629 0
floppy 56913 0
ext3 117961 6
jbd 57177 1 ext3
3w_xxxx 30561 0
ata_piix 12485 7
libata 44101 1 ata_piix
sd_mod 20545 9
scsi_mod 116033 3 3w_xxxx,libata,sd_mod

Looks better now?

I guess I can no longer monitor the processor temperature and
such after preventing i2c from loading, but what what's the
penalty of preventing microcode from loading? a performance
hit?

I will be testing memory as suggested by Hugh Dickins as well.
Hopefully, your trick or Hugh's suggestion will help revealing
the source of the problem, if not the kernel itself.

-ammar

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.123 / U:0.772 seconds]