SubjectRe: 2.6.X, NPTL, SCHED_FIFO and JACK
Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:37:49 -0700,
> William Lee Irwin III wrote:

>>On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:27:28PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>>
>>>I call BS on this response.
>>>We were told by A(ndrew)M(orton) and several other people that 2.6
>>>would not be as good as 2.4 for low latency real time audio. It was
>>>made clear that the preemption patches were considered more
>>>appropriate even though they did not do anywhere near as reliable an
>>>improvement as AM's lowlat patches. We found out (and I mean no
>>>discredit to AM whatsoever - he did an amazing job on the 2.4 lowlat
>>>patches) that the author of the premiere lowlat patches for 2.4 would
>>>not be maintaining a similar set for 2.6. We also found during the
>>>development of 2.5 that there were a number of areas of real concern,
>>>(the VM subsystem and the scheduler and the disk subsystems) but that
>>>many notable kernel developers were not particularly interested in our
>>>needs - we were considered odd, edge case studies.
>>
>>Not only are lowlat-alike changes in mainline 2.6, the algorithms where
>>lowlat found explicit preemption points were necessary have been changed
>>in a number of cases to be asymptotically faster.
>>
>>So you gave no feedback. What do you expect us to do? There are
>>enough other bugreports to keep us busy without testing the known
>>universe on behalf of you or anyone else sitting around waiting
>>silently for their needs to magically be addressed.
>

> Well, the point is that no kernel developer is watching and working on
> low-latency fixes regulariy for 2.6 kernels, as Andrew did for every
> 2.4 release. And, the users can't report easily what gets wrong.
> (If the report were something like '2.6.x worked but 2.6.y not', it
> would be easy to figure out, but many users experience this problem
> between 2.4 and 2.6...)
>
> Maybe this situation can be improved by enabling the xrun_debug proc
> switch on ALSA, which shows the stack trace when a buffer
> over/underrun happens. Also, running a latencytest program would be
> helpful for spotting out the problem.
>

> BTW, 2.6 kernel works pretty well on my system. Perhaps it's because
> I run jackd directly as root.
>
> I've also heard some people complaining after replacement with 2.6,
> too, but I believe it's either driver-specific problem or a bug caused
> by the NPTL incompatibility reported on this thread.
> AFAIK, there are still some problematic parts, for example, a long
> lock in shrink_dcache_parent(), and too-long RCU jobs in a tasklet,
> but they are relatively minor.
>

>>In summary:
>>(1) please try to present adequate information directly
>> -- describe your situation directly instead of needing people
>> -- to debug your apps for you
>

> The problem is the incompatibility between NPTL and LinuxThreads.
> As Paul pointed, if calling pthread_setschedparm() has no influence
> _after_ creating the thread, it sounds like a bug to me. This might
> [...]

Version 1.4 of the various SPA schedulers (for 2.6.7) are available for
download at <https://sourceforge.net/projects/cpuse/>. In this
modification I have attempted to minimize the scheduling overhead costs
for SCHED_FIFO tasks. I would appreciate any feedback on how successful
I have been.

Thanks
Peter
--