SubjectRe: Autotune swappiness01
R. J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Monday 26 of July 2004 11:31, Con Kolivas wrote:
>
>>R. J. Wysocki wrote:

>>>Please excuse me, but is that viable at all? IMHO, it's just like trying
>>>to tune a radio including volume with only one knob. I don't say it
>>>won't work, but the probability that it will is rather small, it seems
>>
>>Well that's what we want. I cant remember other desktop operating
>>systems setting a root only control between night and day, or between
>>copying ISOs and running applications or...
>

> I agree, but isn't it related to the fact that other desktop OSes usually
> don't run anything like updatedb nightly?
>
> Perhaps we need a bit more sophisticated swap algorithm than other OSes do.
> For example, couldn't we add an additional parameter to control the swapping
> "behavior", apart from the swappiness? Something like adding the second knob
> in my radio example? Just thinking,

I think one knob is one knob too many already. However as Andrew has
pointed out there are server workloads that want swappiness of 100,
hence I leave the knob in place.

Proof is in the pudding. Try my patch and/or post an alternative.

Cheers,
Con

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.061 / U:1.292 seconds]