    SubjectRe: [patch] kernel events layer
    Robert Love <rml@ximian.com> wrote:

    > Andrew, et al,
    >
    > OK, Kernel Summit and my OLS talk are over, so here are the goods.
    >
    > Following patch implements the kernel events layer, which is a simple
    > wrapper around netlink to allow asynchronous communication from the
    > kernel to user-space of events, errors, logging, and so on.
    >
    > Current intention is to hook the kernel via this interface into D-BUS,
    > although the patch is intended to be agnostic to any of that and policy
    > free.
    >
    > D-BUS can be found here:
    >
    > http://dbus.freedesktop.org/
    >
    > Other user-space utilities (including code to utilize this) can be found
    > here:
    >
    > http://vrfy.org/projects/kdbusd/
    >
    > This patch only implements a single event, processor temperature
    > detection. Other useful events include md sync, filesystem mount,
    > driver errors, etc. We can add those later, on a case-by-case basis. I
    > would like to be more careful with adding events than we are with adding
    > printk's, with some aim toward a stable interface.

    OK. Can you give us a ballpark estimate of how many send_kmessage() calls
    we're likely to have in two years time?

    > Usage of the new interface is simple:
    >
    > send_kmessage(group, interface, message, ...)
    >
    > Credit to Arjan for the initial implementation, Kay Sievers for some
    > updates, and the netlink code.

    - The GFP_ATOMIC page allocation is unfortunate. Please pass in the
    gfp_flags, or change it to GFP_KERNEL and provide a separate
    send_kmessage_atomic()?

    - Methinks the kernel won't build if the user set CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=n

    - When fixing that up, please add CONFIG_KERNEL_EVENTS or whatever,
    provide the appropriate do-nothing stubs if it's disabled. For the tiny
    systems.

    - send_kmessage() is racy against kmessage_exit(). I'm not sure that's
    worth fixing - if you agree then it would set minds at ease to simply
    remove kmessage_exit().

    - This code will never work as a module, so why include the
    MODULE_AUTHOR/DESCRIPTION/etc?

    - What led to the decision to export send_kmessage() to only GPL modules?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:4.196 / U:0.076 seconds]