SubjectRe: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell
Andrew Morton wrote:

> "Brett E." <brettspamacct@fastclick.com> wrote:
>
>>>I see no swapout from the info which you sent.
>>
>> pgpgout/s gives the total number of blocks paged out to disk per second,
>> it peaks at 13,000 and hovers around 3,000 per the attachment.
>

> Nope. pgpgout is simply writes to disk, of all types.
That is what is confusing me.. From the sar man page:

pgpgin/s
Total number of kilobytes the system paged in from disk per second.

pgpgout/s
Total number of kilobytes the system paged out to disk per second.

> swapout is accounted for under pswpout and your vmstat trace shows a little
> bit of (healthy) swapout with swappiness=100 and negligible swapout with
> swappiness=0. In both cases, negligible swapin. That's all just fine.
>

>> Swapping out is good, but when that's coupled with swapping in as is the
>> case on my side, it creates a thrashing situation where we swap out to
>> disk pages which are being used, we then immediately swap those pages
>> back in, etc etc..
>

> Look at your "si" column in vmstat. It's practically all zeroes.
>

>> The usage pattern by the way is on a server which continuously hits a
>> database and reads files so I don't know what "swappiness" should be set
>> to exactly. Every hour or so it wants to untar tarballs and by then the
>> cache is large. From here, the system swaps in and out more while cache
>> decreases. Basically, it should do what I believe Solaris does... simply
>> reclaim cache and not swap. Capping cache would be good too but the
>> best solution IMO is to simply reclaim the cache on an as-needed basis
>> before thinking about swapping.
>

> swappiness=100: swaps a lot. swappiness=0: doesn't swap much.
>
> With a funny workload like that you might choose to set swappiness to 0
> just around the hourly tar operation, but as the machine seems to not be
> swapping there doesn't seem to be a need.

Yeah, it wouldn't help if paging isn't the problem. I'd like more
clarificaton on sar before I throw out paging being the culprit.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:2.040 / U:0.016 seconds]