SubjectRe: Benchmarking objrmap under memory pressure
Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>>Hugh Dickins wrote:
>>
>>>The worst that will happen with anonmm's mremap move, is that some
>>>app might go slower and need more swap. Unlikely, but agreed possible.
>>
>>It appears that users on small memory machines running kde are not of
>>concern to you. Unfortunately that describes a fair number of people,
>>not everyone has the big memory fast system. I will try to get some
>>reproducible numbers, but "consistently feels faster" is a reason to
>>keep running -aa even if I can't quantify it.
>

> Appearances can be deceptive. Of course I care about users,
> of small or large memory machines, running kde or not.
>
> It appears that you do not understand that we're talking about a
> case so rare that we've never seen it in practice, only by testing.
>
> But perhaps we haven't looked out for it enough (no printk), I'd better
> put something in to tell us when it does occur, thanks for the reminder.
>
> If -aa consistently feels faster to you, great, go with it:
> but I doubt it's because of this issue we're discussing!

I don't disagree on that, but it seems that KDE developers have put some
serious effort into making the software well-behaved, and unless there
is some measurable benefit from the code which negates the benefits of
that effort, it seems desirable to appreciate code code by letting it work.

I was more commenting on the good performance at the bottom end than
addressing the large machines. All the big machines I have are in the
overkill range, and finding small benefits doesn't do much with
production loads, so I can't contribute any useful info at that end.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)