SubjectRe: Memory image save/restore
Chris Lalancette wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been trying to implement some sort of save/restore kernel
> memory image for the linux kernel (x86 only right now), without much
> success. Let me explain the situation:
>
> I have a hardware device that I can generate interrupts with. I also
> have a machine with 512M of memory, and I am passing the kernel the
> command line mem=256M. My idea is to generate an interrupt with the
> hardware device, and then inside of the interrupt handler make a copy of
> the entire contents of RAM into the unused upper 256M of memory; later
> on, with another interrupt, I would like to restore that previously
> saved memory image. This way we can go "back in time", similar to what
> software suspend is doing, but without as many constraints (i.e. we have
> a hardware interrupt to work with, we reserved the same amount of
> physical memory to use, etc.). Before I went much further, I figured I
> would ask if anyone on the list has tried this, and if there are any
> reasons why this is not possible.

You're assuming that the state of the memory is the *state* of the entire system.

This fails because there is a lot of state information in hardware registers,
external peripheral devices, etc., etc.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com
"In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"