SubjectRe: Kernel hangs approximitly every 3 days, some times during boot on version 2.4 and 2.6
Tyler Riddle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You can find a detailed bug report folowing the
> template specified in REPORTING-BUGS at
> http://foodmotron.homeunix.org/~tyler/bug-report.txt
>
> In short, the kernel will hard lock on my machine
> about every 3 days. I have tried several of the latest
> versions of the 2.4 and 2.6 series kernels, 2.2 has
> not shown this problem. I have tried to remedy this
> problem by removing APIC support, IDE DMA and explicit
> support for my IDE chipset
> (VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235), none of
> which has helped any. On every lockup the IDE disk
> access light has been steady and usualy a steady tone
> is left playing out of my sound card.

I am going to take a stab in the dark here and question if it is the sound card
or the cpu (i.e. in the box, speaker, etc.) that the sound is comming from. If
so, it could be that your cpus internal monitor has detected an alarm condition,
such as voltage out of range, or, and most likely, over temp. You might want to
get your "sensors" set up so you can check from time to time. Might even want
to put together a script that writes to the system log when ever a sensor is in
alarm condition.

And yes, linux stresses the box more than windoz, so it will over temp while
windoz does not.

-g

George Anzinger george@mvista.com