SubjectRe: "Enhanced" MD code avaible for review
Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>>Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>
>>Just so there is no confusion... the "failing over...in userland" thing I
>>mention is _only_ during discovery of the root disk.
>

> None of the solutions being talked about perform "failing over" in
> userland. The RAID transforms which perform this operation are kernel
> resident in DM, MD, and EMD. Perhaps you are talking about spare
> activation and rebuild?

This is precisely why I sent the second email, and made the
qualification I did :)

For a "do it in userland" solution, an initrd or initramfs piece
examines the system configuration, and assembles physical disks into
RAID arrays based on the information it finds. I was mainly implying
that an initrd solution would have to provide some primitive failover
initially, before the kernel is bootstrapped... much like a bootloader
that supports booting off a RAID1 array would need to do.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.168 / U:0.352 seconds]