SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.10-rc3 oops when 'modprobe -r dvb-bt8xx'
Hi,

Am 12/07/04 19:03, Gerd Knorr schrieb:
> I somehow feel the best way to deal with that is to merge the
> redesigned frontend handing pending in -mm at the moment into Linus
> tree _now_, that should kill that whole class of bugs.

Johannes and I had agreed with Andrew that the redesigned frontend code
should stay in -mm for now, because we expect that support for some
cards is broken. We currently don't receive very much reports on the
mailing list though.

> That may result in the dvb subsystem not being that stable in 2.6.10.
> But dvb not being rock solid in 2.6.10 will very likely happen anyway
> as the code currently in Linus' tree isn't very stable as well. I
> think the chance that it gets even worse is small enougth that we can
> take the risk.
>
> Additional bonus would be that we don't get bugreports for the old
> code base which is already obsolete (and nobody wants to work on
> because of that).
>
> Michael?

I just spoke to Johannes and we agree with you, Gerd. The DVB changes
can and should be merged from -mm now. There is a fair chance that the
remaining issues with broken cards can be resolved before 2.6.10.

The code is in a good shape and only some small patches are missing from
the LinuxTV.org CVS.

I can prepare a patch that fixes the support for some cards and other
minor improvements tomorrow.

> Gerd

CU
Michael.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.421 / U:1.036 seconds]