SubjectRe: [RFC] dynamic syscalls revisited
Steven Rostedt wrote:

> I disagree about this statement. ioctl's suck because they usually have
> none, or very poor documentation and you are stuck with opening devices,
> and sending parameters to them that may be for the wrong device and
> there is really no good checking to see what you sent is what you want
> since its all defined by human unreadable numbers.

That's like saying you might be calling the wrong syscall by accident.

> As for dynamic system calls (and especially the way I've implemented
> them) you have human readable names, with varying amount of parameters
> that can make sense. So even if you still have none to very poor
> documentation, you can understand things perhaps a little better. There
> is also much better checking in dynamic system calls than to ioctls.

There is NO checking in the syscall interface. Period. Any such
checking is a facility of some kind of stub generator, and that's
independent of the method used to invoke it.

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.079 / U:1.236 seconds]