SubjectRe: the umount() saga for regular linux desktop users
Date
On Friday 31 December 2004 12:48, Ush wrote:
>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:41:02 +0000, William <wh@designed4u.net>
wrote:
>> Regularly, when attempting to umount() a filesystem I receive
>> 'device is busy' errors. The only way (that I have found) to solve
>> these problems is to go on a journey into processland and kill all
>> the guilty ones that have tied themselves to the filesystem
>> concerned.
>
>Even a lazy umount doesn't work? "umount -l <filesystem-name>"
>
>> In my opinion, in order for linux to be trully user friendly, "a
>> umount() should NEVER fail" (even if the device containing the
>> filesystem is no longuer attached to the system). The kernel
>> should do it's best to satisfy the umount request and cleanup.
>> Maybe the kernel could try some of the following:
>
>Would it be user-friendly if this forcible umount caused the user to
> lose data?

No, it wouldn't be user friendly, but it would sure be user
educational when he asked why his resume dissappeared.

Let me toss this out for discussion.

There are some times when the usual 5 second flush schedule should be
tossed out the window, and the data written immediately. A quickly
unpluggable usb memory dongle is a prime candidate to bite the user
precisely where it hurts. Floppies also fit this same scenario, I
don't know at the times I've written an image with dd, got up out of
my chair and went to the machine and slapped the eject button to
discover to my horror, that when my hand came away from the button
with disk in hand, the frigging access led was now on that wasn't
when I tapped the button.

Usually just re-inserting the disk allows the write to continue and
nothing is lost. But I've learned to do a couple of sync's and the
umount before pulling the disk. But theres a whole lot more protocol
to doing that with a usb device.

Thats one of the things that could be done to improve the user
friendliness of linux. Really Old Hands are used to those limits,
but newbies just coming in from the dark side are not impressed when
its something like that as nearly their first exposure to linux.

>Oisin
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are:

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.073 / U:1.200 seconds]