SubjectProblem with eject and cd-ripping
(Tested kernels: Debian's 2.6.9 and an assortment of home-compiled
2.6.10-rc3-bk's).

When ripping an extended CD (I tried with the re-releases of Iron
Maiden's older albums) or copy-defected media, I get a bunch of
these messages in the kernlog:

hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
ide: failed opcode was 100
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 0

After these messages have occured, it is no longer possible to eject
the CD as a normal user, and while root can eject it, I get this error
message:

program eject is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO
scsi: unknown opcode 0x1e
program eject is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO
program eject is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO

However, the error persists even with other CD:s after this, I have to
reboot the computer to be able to eject as a normal user after this has
occured.

I don't recall seeing this problem earlier (the machine hasn't been
running since 2.6.5-times or so, so I cannot be absolutely sure).
And unless the quality of copy defections suddenly have increased,
there also seems to be a regression on that front, since I'm no longer
able to rip that kind of CDs at all (it might be the CD I tried with
that had a newer protection though, I'll have to confirm this with one
of my older ones to be sure).

The CD is "_NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A" (IDE), further information available
on request.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
/) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander (\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //