SubjectRe: 2.4.29-pre1 OOPS early in boot with Intel ICH5 SATA controller
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:52:12 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> said:

> If you are getting an oops there, it looks like your ata_piix driver
> is mismatched from the libata core. Did you compile them both at
> the same time, from the same source kernel?

Yes. Clean build, everything compiled into the kernel, no modules.

> The assembly code above is where function ata_host_add in
> libata-core.c calls "ap->ops->port_start", which definitely exists
> in ata_piix.c.

As I noted in my follow-up e-mail, and EC has confirmed, changing the
BIOS settings from Native Mode: Auto to Native Mode: Both works around
this problem.

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,