SubjectRe: RivaFB on Geforce FX 5200
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Oded Shimon wrote:

> One problem is when switching from X back to FB console, I can still see the X
> cache (at the different res and color depth, it simply looks like noise...),
> until some kind of modification has happenned in the console.
> If i run any kind of program which modifies the frame buffer, for ex. fbset or
> ppmtofb, the FB console is irreversibly ruined until reboot. (it looks mostly
> like noise which you can barely make out the console text underneath).
> The worst problem - no penguin at boot up. :( There is a black bar in the
> area where its supposed to be, but no image...
> My guess is the cause for most of these problem is me causing the driver to
> think it can support my card, when it doesn't really have all the kinks
> sorted out...

Hi,
I assume You are trying to use rivafb with nvidia binary drivers? If
that's the case, then here's an excerpt from NVIDIA README file:

Q: My system hangs when vt-switching if I have rivafb enabled.

A: Using both rivafb and the NVIDIA kernel module at the same time is
currently broken. In general, using two independent software drivers
to drive the same piece of hardware is a bad idea.

So it is unlikely to make this two drivers to work together.

--
Janusz Dziemidowicz
rraptorr@nails.eu.org