SubjectRe: deadlock with 2.6.9
On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Chris Stromsoe wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
>
>> Chris Stromsoe wrote:
>>
>>> I had a third lockup, this time not related to burning a dvd. As
>>> before, the bulk of the processes that were hung were cron
>>
>> Why so many cron processes? Is this normal on your system, or does it
>> look like cron keeps spawning processes because it gets no response on
>> the sockets?
>
> I'm guessing so many processes because every time one gets started, it
> ends up getting stuck in schedule_timeout(), until the system stops
> spawning new processes. There are many of them because the system was
> running for a day or so before it became unresponsive.

That wasn't very clear. The high number of cron jobs is extremely
abnormal. There are generally never more than a handful running at any
one time, and very rarely more than only the parent cron process. The
most frequent cronjob on the system runs every 5 minutes.

-Chris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.038 / U:0.180 seconds]