SubjectRe: file as a directory
Peter Foldiak wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 16:31, Horst von Brand wrote:
>

>>>But namespace unification is important,
>>>

>>Why? Directories are directories, files are files, file contents is file
>>contents. Mixing them up is a bad idea.
>>

>I disagree, I think it is a good idea.

Hi,

Please remember DOS.

In DOS a directory is a file with a SPECIAL attrib: D_DIR.

In Unix, is basically the same.

There are nothing bad. The attrib specify that a file with the
directory attrib
may include additional files or directories.

Thanks,
Giovanni.

>Why is namespace unification important? Because you can use the same
>tools on everything. Previously, each tool could handle one namespace.
>
>A very simple example would be:
>I want to count the words in the Appendix of my book.
>If I can't select the appendix, my "wc" tool is useless (or very
>difficult to use). On the other hand if I can say
>
>wc ~/book/Appendix
>
>it's fine. Hans Reiser would say that "namespaces are the roads and
>waterways of the operating system" and "the value of an operating system
>is proportional to the number of connections you can make". I think he
>is right in that. And the authors of Unix knew it too, when they used
>the same namespace for devices and files. They didn't say "files are
>files and devices are devices". They said the difference should not
>matter to the applications.
>But there is still namespace fragmentation even in Unix, and this is
>just one of them.
>

>> Sure, you could build a filesystem
>>of sorts (perhaps more in the vein of persistent programming, or even data
>>base systems) where there simply is no distinction (because there are no
>>differences to show), but that is something different.
>>

>>> and to unify the namespace, you
>>>have to use the same syntax. I guess you disagree with me on that. (If
>>>not, how would you do it?)
>>>

>>I'd go one level up: Eliminate the distinctions that bother you, not try to
>>patch over them.
>>

>But that is my point too. Peter

Check FT Websites ... http://www.futuretg.com - ftp://ftp.futuretg.com
http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com
http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com/Certification
http://www.rpmparadaise.org
http://GNULinuxUtilities.com
http://www.YourPersonalOperatingSystem.com

WorldWide Global Mobile: +39 393 665 4239