    SubjectRe: Semaphore assembly-code bug

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, linux-os wrote:

    > The patch you provided patched without any rejects. However,
    > the system won't boot.

    Yes, there was a incorrect change to the "asmlinkage" definition that I
    had played with before deciding to make just the semaphores be reg-arg,
    and that change made it into my original patch by mistake. I sent out a
    second message asking people to remove that part of the patch some time
    later, but..

    > I patched Linux-2.6.9. Could you please review your patch?
    > I will await the possibility of a simple typo that I can
    > fix by hand before reverting.

    Just change the incorrect "3" in <asm-i386/linkage.h> (or whatever, this
    is from memory):

    #define asmlinkage CPP_ASMLINKAGE __attribute__((regparm(3)))

    back to a "0". Asmlinkage still uses stack-based parameter passing, which
    I'd love to fix eventually (we've had bugs in that area too), but it is
    just too much pain to do right now.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:4.065 / U:0.044 seconds]