    SubjectRe: Oops in 2.6.10-rc1 (almost solved)

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Christian Kujau wrote:

    > nevermind then. as nobody else seem to be bothered by this i am happy with
    > the workarund (CONFIG_EDD=n) and since the lkml-archives exist we could
    > get back to it when it's bothering more people (n>1)

    The problem with that approach is that very few people are willing to
    spend the time and effort to really try to figure out where the problem
    triggers for them. Thanks again for testing lots of kernels, and different
    configurations.

    Basically, if it's a problem that only happens for a smallish percentage
    of people, and an even smaller percentage of those is willing to dig down
    and find it, it's not a problem we can afford to ignore. Ignoring it just
    means that there will be "a few" error reports that we will either waste
    time on, or (even worse) we'll dismiss as "known problems" and then
    possibly miss _another_ bug.

    This is why I take random unexplained (but pinpointed) problems so
    seriously. If it wasn't as apparently random, we could file it under
    "known problem" and decide to try to fix it later. As it is, it's filed
    under "known cause", but since we don't know _why_, it might cause totally
    different problems on another machine, and that just makes it too painful
    for words.

    So the changeset is reverted for now in the current -bk tree, and I'll
    make a -rc2 this weekend and hope that we can stabilize for 2.6.10.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:5.049 / U:0.016 seconds]