SubjectRe: network interface to driver and pci slot mapping
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Anthony Samsung wrote:

> Given an interface name (like eth0), how do I determine:
> The name of the driver (module) for this interface.
> The PCI address for this interface, if relevant.
>
> ?
>
> I need something that works non-destructively on a live system, that
> isn't broken by nameif, and has a strong chance of producing a correct
> result. In particular, parsing syslog is out. There's no consistency
> in the format of messages and there's no guarantee the logs from
> bootup will still be around. And the interface may have been renamed
> since then.

If the eth0 device is a module, it's in /etc/modprobe.conf, previous
versions used /etc/modules.conf.
Once you have its module name you can use other resources like

/sys/bus/pci/drivers/MODULENAME

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.064 / U:0.132 seconds]