    SubjectRe: 2.6.0 NFS-server low to 0 performance
    On 7 Jan 2004, bill davidsen wrote:

    > I'm sure you checked this, but does mii-tool show that you have
    > negotiated the proper connection to the hub or switch? I found that my
    > 3cXXX and eepro100 cards were negotiating half duplex with the switches
    > and cable modems, causing the throughput to go forth and conjugate the
    > verb "to suck" until I fixed it.

    Actually, I didn't. Just tried - mii-tool says
    SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
    no MII interfaces found
    And if you look in the tulip driver you'll see the same - ADMtek Comet
    doesn't have the HAS_MII flag set:-( Is it really that bad? It was a cheap
    (damn it, when will I learn not to buy cheap stuff, even if it says
    "Linux supported"...) card, no technical documentation, none on
    www.sitecom.com either. I've sent them a service-request though. Also
    funny, on their site they say, it's a realtek 8139 chip... I would even
    less hope that the other 3c59x card, which can only do half-duplex (I
    think) 10mbps, has mii... But - the light on the hub and on the card say
    it's 100mbps full-duplex. Actually, if something was wrong with network
    settings - ftp wouldn't work reliable either, right? Well, maybe it
    affects UDP only somehow. Well, yes - with TCP it seems to work. Only now
    I have another problem with my PC2 with 2.6 (Pentium 133MHz, 24M). It
    swaps like a mad already under very mild load... Have to narrow it down
    though... So, 4M file I was able to copy without problem to tmpfs, 120M to
    the disk lasts already many minutes (~30) with hard swapping. Problem is I
    can't use terminals in such situation - they become nearly irresponsive.
    So, only sysrq's work... Hm, just looked at the backtrace of the cp
    process - it looks completely sick.
    __wake_up_common
    preempt_schedule
    __wake_up
    wakeup_kswapd
    __alloc_pages
    read_swap_cache_async
    read_swap_cache_async
    swapin_readahead
    do_swap_page
    handle_mm_fault
    do_page_fault
    do_page_fault
    do_DC390_Interrupt
    handle_IRQ_event
    end_8259A_irq
    do_IRQ
    error_code

    So, since TCP works - shall we consider the case closed, or shall UDP also
    be fixed? Ok, presumably, Linux-Linux can always use TCP, what about other
    UNIXes? Can they also do mount -otcp?

    ...and what is this:
    RPC request reserved 0 but used 116

    Thanks
    Guennadi
    ---
    Guennadi Liakhovetski

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:3.420 / U:0.008 seconds]