SubjectRe: xterm scrolling speed - scheduling weirdness in 2.6 ?!

Peter Osterlund wrote:

>Nick Piggin <piggin@cyberone.com.au> writes:
>

>>Peter Osterlund wrote:
>>

>>>But the scheduler is also far from fair in this situation. If I run
>>>
>>snip a good analysis...
>>
>>... but fairness is not about a set of numbers the scheduler gives to
>>each process, its about the amount of CPU time processes are given.
>>
>>In this case I don't know if I find it objectionable that X and xterm
>>are considered interactive and perl considered a CPU hog. What is the
>>actual problem?
>>

>The problem is that if perl would get only slightly more cpu time, it
>would get ahead of xterm, which would make this test case run
>something like 10 times faster than it currently does. (Because xterm
>switches to jump scrolling when it can't keep up.)
>
>I guess it would be possible to fix this by introducing a
>usleep(10000) at some strategic place in the xterm source code, but I
>still find it strange that two tasks eating 40% cpu time each are
>considered interactive, while a task eating 4% is considered a cpu
>hog, especially since the 4% task never got a chance to prove that it
>didn't want to steal all cpu time. All that was proven was that it
>wanted more than 4% of the cpu.
>
>Also, while my test case runs, other tasks (such as running "ps" from
>a network login) are very slow, at least until the extra load makes
>the scheduler realize that the two tasks eating most of the cpu time
>should not have maximum priority bonus.

This is what top looks like with my (now fixed) scheduler
(priorities go from 0 to 59). In theory I guess it looks like what
you want.

920 root 21 -10 88156 17m 79m S 50.8 7.0 11:08.47 XFree86
16762 npiggin 40 0 4804 2396 4356 R 37.9 0.9 0:07.76 xterm
16784 npiggin 23 0 3128 1212 2664 S 9.3 0.5 0:01.93 perl

xterm is a CPU hog, XFree86 is half and half, perl is at close to highest
priority (which is 20 for a nice 0 process). When using xterm without jump
scrolling, it seems to mess up X's scheduler by flooding it with so many
small requests.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.068 / U:25.196 seconds]