SubjectRe: 2.6.1-mm1: drivers/video/sis/sis_main.c link error
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
>
>>The whole framebuffer stuff in 2.6 is ancient. (Look at the file dates.)
>

> Note that the fb stuff is ancient because it's basically not maintained as
> far as I'm concerned.

Erm, well, _I_ know. But I assume you meant this message mainly for the
public.

> I'm sorry, but this i show it is. The fbcon people have been changing
> interfaces faster than they have been fixing bugs in the code. Together

You tell me. I actually stopped adapting sisfb for a couple of months
during the 2.5 development cycle - I could not keep up with the speed of
substantial changes either.

> with the fact that most of the development seems to happen in outside
> trees, and nobody ever sends me fixes relative to the released tree, this
> makes for a pretty bad situation.
>
> I really think that development should happen in the regular tree, or at
> least be synched up in reasonable chunks THAT DO NOT BREAK everything.
>
> I realize that some fb developers seem to disagree with me, but the fact
> is, the way things are done now, fb will _always_ be broken. Most people
> for whom the standard kernel works will never test the fb development
> trees, so those trees will never get any amount of reasonable testing. As
> a result, they WILL be buggy, and synching with them WILL be painful as
> hell.

Isn't a large part of the fbcon/dev stuff in current 2.6 broken anyway?
Could it become worse by merging James' current changes? But I guess
this question - as well as the rest of your message - is for James to
answer.

If the lastest and greatest of the fbdev stuff isn't merged with 2.6.2,
I will revert the interface changes in sisfb and send a patch which
works with the then-current vanilla kernel.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.058 / U:0.524 seconds]