SubjectRe: High Quality Random sources, was: Re: SecuriKey
It has puzzled me for a while why it doesn't occur to people that a high
quality OTP is a high quality source of shared private keys for a good
symmetric algorithm. That is a much better use than 1-to-1 XOR. Sure,
you're still only as secure as the symmetric algorithm but if you can
manage distribution of a OTP, you don't have to otherwise worry about
key management other than walking through the keys so that they are only
used once. 128MB+ (or 200MB or 1GB) represents a lot of AES keys.
With that many, you could just skip around on a non-key aligned random
point (using your high-quality random source of course ;-) ), transmit
the point you are using as a key selector, and not worry about avoiding
reuse management.

PKI is better for many reasons, but it's still interesting that an
essentially low-tech technique like OTP could be used in a similar way.
You still have an N^2 key exchange problem that PKI solves.

sdw

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:10:47 EST, "Stephen D. Williams" said:
>

>>OTP absolutely requires that you share the OTP out of band, i.e. you
>>twin a capture of random data. Any transfer makes it as vulnerable as
>>the transfer method.
>>

>The single most common OTP-related offense of Schneier's "snake oil crypto"
>has got to be the fact it's almost never only used exactly once and then discarded.
>
>So sure you can load 200 meg of OTP into the dongle before you leave the spy agency
>on a mission. The fun starts when you get to the 201st megabyte of data. :)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.022 / U:0.620 seconds]