SubjectRe: RH-9 boot hangs from floppy bootdisk
Date
Alan,

Thanks for the suggestion, certainly works far better than before.
Disabling DMA on IDE does allow me to boot right up. I was able to use
up2date and install the 2.4.20-20.9 kernel. I then made a new bootdisk
using mkbootdisk. Booting using the new kernel from floppy got a bit
further, it actually loaded the kernel fro /dev/hdb2. But hung after it
got to "Enabling Swap ..". Any more ideas?

I am now about to copy the boot sector using dd and using Win-XP's
loader to load it to see if it helps.

Should I be using an even newer kernel? Which one is known to work with
RH-9 (I haven't kept up with building kernels and libc compatibilities
in a long time, not since Slackware '97 days :-)?

Shash

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sul, 2003-09-21 at 20:48, Shash Chatterjee wrote:
>
>>When booting from floppy, it loads the kernel/ramdisk from floppy, then
>>recognizes the HW and then hangs with the following message (at the
>>bottom). Hitting any key causes a single "keyboard: unknown keysequence
>>0e .." and then I have to hard-reset to recover.
>

> Firstly try booting with the additional option "ide=nodma". That will
> hopefully get you installed but slowly and able to update to a newer
> kernel.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.035 / U:0.520 seconds]