SubjectRe: PATCH (as112) Re: USB APM suspend
Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, David Brownell wrote:
>
>>>Why was this routine called twice? (Don't be fooled by the timestamps; I
>>>think the "suspend D4 --> D3" message was created during the suspend but
>>>not read by syslogd until after the resume.)
>>
>>That's happened for as long as I remember (2.4 also).
>>Still seems buglike to me, maybe 2.6 will finally squish it...
>

> Well, the code path is easy enough to find. If you look at suspend() in
> arch/i386/kernel/apm.c, you'll see calls to pm_send_all() and
> device_suspend(). They both end up filtering down to the USB HC drivers.
> The bad one is pm_send_all(); it comes too soon.

Rather, "it comes at all". Call device_{suspend,resume} should
suffice. It shouldn't pm_send_all() -- either of the two calls.
(The 2.4 bug is necessarily a different issue.)

Does it work if you remove those calls?

> By the way, David, apparently core/hcd-pci.c wants the HC drivers to set
> the hcd state to USB_STATE_SUSPENDED, but a simple grep shows that neither
> the EHCI nor the OHCI driver does so. That certainly looks like an
> oversight, though I'm not sure in which source file.

And what's odd is that it was working before, too! I'll have a look,
next I get a chance. It's good to know that APM is almost behaving again.

> Meanwhile, here's a simple patch to improve logging during suspend and
> resume. Greg, if David approves please apply it.

Reads OK to me -- go for it!

- Dave

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.044 / U:0.024 seconds]