SubjectRe: 2.7 block ramblings (was Re: DMA for ide-scsi?)
Andries Brouwer wrote:
> Such things are infinitely difficult.
> Moreover, great care is needed - one has to define precisely what it
> is this GUID is supposed to be an ID of.

Absolutely agreed.

> (Is it the ZIP drive? Or is it the ZIP disk?
> The 2.4 USB code is broken because it remembers a GUID and thinks that
> identical GUID implies identical disk.)
>
> I have a handful of CF/SM cardreaders.
> Some of them have no form of ID. Others have an ID.
>
> Then one can insert a CF or SM card into the reader.
> Some of these cards have an ID. Some have not.
>
> On the card one usually finds a FAT filesystem.
> There may be a label. Or there may not be.
>
> This describes a 3-level situation.
> I have also 4-level situations, where the reader is filled with
> one of four auxiliary adapters (each with an own ID) and the
> adapter then get a CF/SM/SD/... card.

Using an adapter's ID would be a mistake. You want to use the media's
unique ID, assuming it has one.

> So, yes, we love IDs. And we can always provide them ourselves
> as label or UUID or so in the filesystem.

Not all filesystems have them :)

Further, some sites may prefer block-level GUIDs to fs-level ones.
Sites using raw partitions instead of filesystems, for one.

We must leave this up to the sysadmin -- within the bounds of technology
of course. The sysadmin is out of luck if they purchase a media that
does not support some sort of labelling or UUID.

> But finding an unformatted unlabeled disk is difficult.

You sound like you're agreeing with me ;-)

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.055 / U:0.056 seconds]