    SubjectRe: ->pid in filesystem code
    On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:12:38PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
    > cifs:
    >
    > apparently uses current->pid to keep track of locking. This might
    > mean that the current implementation is actually getting things very
    > wrong, at least from the Unix semantics. Locking happens on process
    > basis. I count 11 uses of ->pid, all suspicious. Using this
    > filesystem with NPTL seems to be risky in the moment.

    s/with NPTL//. I'm fairly certain that fs/cifs went into the tree without
    a review and what's more, in this case I have very strong suspicion that
    it might have been deliberately obfuscated to scare potential reviewers off.
    Whatever the cause might be, the code *is* obfuscated enough to make it very
    hard to review and it certainly contains a lot of dubious stuff.

    > intermezzo:
    >
    > Wow, don't know where to start. A gazillion uses of ->pid. Some are
    > print statements but there are others where the value is assigned to
    > elements of some internal data structures. I think I would strongly
    > suggest to avoid this filesystem when using NPTL until it is clear
    > that there are no issues.

    intermezzo needs a serious rewrite before it will be usable in 2.6. Authors
    had promised to do something about it, but so far it hadn't reached the Linus'
    tree.

    > umsdos:
    >
    > The pid seems to be used for some kind of locking. Might be that
    > using ->pid is correct here. In that case it needs comments.

    Doesn't even build. Will need a rewrite or removal - it had been rotting
    for a *long* time.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:5.327 / U:0.016 seconds]