    SubjectRe: How to use an USB<->serial adapter?
    Daniel Egger wrote:
    > Am Mon, 2003-08-25 um 08.24 schrieb Boszormenyi Zoltan:
    >

    >>What product is this? Mine is a Wiretek UN8BE, based on Prolific 2303.
    >

    > Mine is from STLAB.
    >
    >>In the shop they said this one cannot be used as a null-link but works
    >>with external serial devices, e.g. modems. I have yet to verify this
    >>statement myself.
    >

    > Doesn't really make sense to me. RS232 is specified electrically, the
    > adapter doesn't know which kind of device it is talking to. I'm using
    > mine to connect to a TTL-RS232 adapter which sits on a DSL-router, so
    > it's like a "null-link".

    Now, I was able to get an external modem. No workee...
    The modem RD/TD LEDs are flashing, DTR is lit on permanently
    so the modem is receiving and *tries to send*. Maybe the shop
    went this far in testing to say that the cable works. :-(
    But the PC isn't receiving. E.g. in WinXX, the modem is not found,
    in RH9, no dialing out.

    At least it is consistent with my findings with the null-link cable.
    Back to the shop and sorry for the noise.

    --
    Best regards,
    Zoltán Böszörményi