    SubjectRe: Strange load issues with 2.5.69/70 in both -mm and -bk trees.
    On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 16:07, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Tom Sightler <ttsig@tuxyturvy.com> wrote:

    > > > Yes, it seems that too many real-world applications are accidentally
    > > > triggering this problem.
    > > >
    > > > Could you please run an strace of the boosted process, find out what it is
    > > > doing to get itself boosted in this manner? Wait until things are in
    > > > steady state and the process is boosted, then run `strace -tt <pid>' so we
    > > > see the timing info.
    > >
    > > The strace was quite large so I have uploaded it to
    > > http://tuxyturvy.com/strace-pluginserver.gz
    > >

    > Seems to be doing lots of small reads and writes. Maybe to a pipe. What
    > is the system context switch rate while this is happening? From `vmstat
    > 1'?

    I just did a 10 second run, average was about 2000/sec, with a minimum
    of around 1500/sec and a peak of 3700/sec.

    With the rest of the system the same (same programs running, etc) but on
    a page that doesn't use that particular plugin, the context switch rate
    sits around 250/sec.

    Would you like the actual full output from vmstat?

    Later,
    Tom

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:3.313 / U:0.300 seconds]